All Simaru leather products are made of vegetable-tanned leather, are very robust and, in line with our sustainability philosophy, very durable. As with good leather shoes, you can significantly extend the durability of your Simaru leather products with the right care. Before we get into the practical side of things, we'll give you a few basic tips on leather care:
- Leather products should be cared for regularly, even if you don't use them on a daily basis (e.g. leather belts that you only wear with a certain outfit on certain occasions).
- Leather should be maintained with suitable leather care products. Conventional household products such as creams or oils often contain additives that, in case of doubt, tend to harm the leather in the long term.
- Leather care products should be used sparingly. As a rule, it is sufficient to apply a thin layer of care product on the surface of your leather product and rub it in thoroughly.
- Little water use: Be sure to moisten the leather evenly and not to use too much water. Otherwise, water spots could occur, which remain visible even after drying.
- Do not use brushes: Leather is a robust, but also empflindliches natural material. Therefore, you should always use cloths or rags for care. A brush would roughen and damage the leather.
- Leather products should not be cared for immediately before use. After care, give your leather products some time (about 24 hours) until the next use, so that the care products can take effect.
Here you can learn exactly how to care for your Simaru leather product in just a few steps, using one of our leather belts as an example:
What you need: A cloth, rag or sponge; a mild leather grease or colorless leather cream; some water.
Step 1: Wipe the leather belt carefully and evenly with a damp cloth to remove dirt particles.
Step 2: Rub the leather care product into a cloth and then rub it thinly and evenly onto the belt. Go thereby best always with the grain.
Step 3: Remove any remaining care product and/or water residues with a fresh, damp cloth.
Step 4: Allow the belt to air dry, at least 24 hours if possible, so that the care product can be thoroughly absorbed and will not get on hands or clothing the next time it is worn.
Unser Geheimtipp: Place your leather belt or other leather products occasionally after showering in the bathroom. Leather needs moisture and here the material can absorb small amounts of moisture from the air and remains wonderfully supple and natural!